About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7 Friday Farming Update

The title of this post is going to be misleading. Farming; the mercury will dip to 17 degrees tonight. I'm not even sure my spinach can handle that, although their starter leaves are frostbitten. We'll see. My onion sets are surviving, but some water erosion filled half of the ditch where the asparagus is planted, and I'm worried it won't ever poke through the soil.

Farming in the northern Rockies takes patience. And I'm not so good with that!

About all I have to show for my farming efforts right now are some daffodils and hyacinths that I snipped from the garden between winter storms. They're in little bud vases above the sink.

In the meantime, I didn't do a Friday Farming update while we were in Utah. I meant to post a week ago about the starter plants I transplanted two Fridays ago. The last expected frost date where I live is May 15, although by the looks of it we'll go into June before it quits. I knew that my zucchini, summer and winter squash and pumpkin starts needed more room than they were getting in their peat pots. So I switched them into plastic pots I saved from 2009's annuals. Yes, I hoard things like cheapo plastic pots. Now cross your fingers that Old Man Winter will leave someday soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment