About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Throwback Thursday- Wedding Dress style

Psst. Can you keep a secret? Wanna see a 50 year old photo of my wedding dress?

I’ll tell the full story of my wedding dress once I get scanned copies of other photos from my mom, but this is a preview. And a throwback.

(DJ: I don’t care if you know what dress for our wedding looks like. Heck, you saw most of it in your mom’s closet over Christmas. I almost showed it to you twice. You’re welcome to click the link below if you want to know in advance. The purpose of this break is to respect your wishes to not know what I’ll look like on The Big Day.)



This (rather off center) photo is not my grandparent’s wedding, but rather the wedding of their friends John and Siepie (See-Pee) Willikes. John emigrated from Holland after World War II, and ended up as a farm hand for my mom’s mom’s dad (follow that?). He brought his fiancé over a year later, and she borrowed the wedding dress my grandmother wore two years prior to marry John at St. Gall’s Catholic church in Colton in 1953. She looks great, and isn't John handsome!

John and Siepie now live around the corner from my parents in Clarkston, and they’re the nicest people. They’ve been such wonderful friends to my grandparents for the past 58 years. John even played accordion at my grandfather’s 80th birthday party in 2006.

I’ll be the third bride to wear this dress when we marry in July. And I can’t help but feel a sense of obligation to live up to the two, 50+ year, marriages this dress has already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment