About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Dunkin' Doughnuts girls coming to visit?

Dudes we’ve got a guest list of 300 people. That means that if (the average) of 2/3 of the guest list attends… we’ll have 200 guests at El Weddingo.

And when we put together the list for this thing, we actually went through the spreadsheet and noted people we thought wouldn’t come. I mean, lets get real; we’re getting married in July, in a not-so-convenient place with very few hotel rooms. I recognize people have other things to do in mid-summer.

Although it’s to early to really say, without RSVPs and a count of who actually showed up, we are hearing from a lot of people who we listed as “probably won’t come” on the spreadsheet that they’re planning to attend. And for some reason I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that so many people would make the effort to attend. That so many people love me, DJ, and us.

What a nutjob, huh? I mean, why is it so hard for me to accept that 300 or so people love and support us?

But today’s post is not about my awkwardness with large crowds of people who love me. It’s devoted to a certain group of women who love me.

In 2003 I rode my friend Katie’s coattails on a summer adventure. Kate had decided to work at a kids sleep-away summer camp as a ropes instructor for a camp in New York, about 100 miles northwest of New York City. I’d spent the previous summer as a lifeguard and swim lesson instructor at Riverside Country Club in Bozeman, but thought Kate’s idea sounded like fun. Somehow I made my way onto the camp’s lifeguard and swim instruction staff.

Soon after arriving, maybe the day of, I met Lauren. Lauren is, I think, my Jewish twin. Same chubby cheeks, same curly brown hair, same affinity for Nissan vehicles.

And as Lauren and I were walking across the camp grounds, Lauren and I ran into Lis and Nyv, who were returning from a shopping venture. Lis is a native of Chico, and has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. Nyv too, is someone with a sharp wit, a wonderful sense of humor, and an infectious spirit, not to mention a kick ass New Zeland accent.


Me, Lauren, Nyv and Lis.

Over the course of 10 or 12 weeks the four of us became thick as thieves, all working in the pool area and all having the same day of the week off. We spent one very fun day sitting in Dunkin’ Doughnuts laughing our asses off at things I can’t even remember.

We stayed in touch as best as possible after the summer ended. I returned to Bozeman, Lauren to Long Island, Lis to Chico, California, while Nyv headed onto the second stage of her trip around the world for a stop in London.


Lis, Lauren, Nyv and me in New York City in 2005.

We managed to get together in the fall of 2005 when Nyv stopped through the United States en route home to New Zeland. We met in New York, stayed with Lauren’s parents and spent evenings sitting under their back deck, hanging out, drinking wine and laughing uproariously. Later that fall Nyv stopped through Kentucky to visit for a week.


Nyv and I trying on hats in KY in 2005.
While we don’t get to see each other often, and don’t get to participate in each others lives in a daily basis, I appreciate each of these women so much. They’ve taught me about endurance, tolerance, sense of adventure, a giving spirit, and mostly how to laugh.

And the best part- they’re either coming to our wedding in July, or to our second reception at our house in September (I’ll write about it more soon!). And when I read the email exchanges between the four of us, I can’t help but bounce a little in my seat. Mostly because I can’t wait to laugh, laugh, and laugh till I cry with these fabulous people. I can’t wait to show them where I live (lake or Bozeman), and can’t wait to have them around for a bit.

Because I recognize that good friends are hard to come by. And a little part of me is still amazed to be lucky enough to have so many people who love me. And who let me love them.

Isn’t it amazing what putting together a wedding teaches you?

No comments:

Post a Comment