About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ran Plan Sprinkle and Rain Plan Monsoon



I mentioned before that I currently have three plans for out wedding reception. Previous posts have gone over the beautiful weather day (that it will be, right? RIGHT?), but precipitation is a reality we really need to be concious of. Because 150 people will not fit in Mikey and Sandi's house.

Sidenote 1: I realized last week that neither DJ, my mom, my dad or my sister would believe what I had to say about reception layouts until they played around with the to-scale drawings too. So I printed them off, and cut everything out like you would a dress up doll. It helped DJ conceptualize the space we had to work with, and I'm sure my dad, mom and sister will benefit from the same thing when we get to the lake the week before the wedding.

Yes, I am obsessed. And yes, I'm usually right.

Sidenote 2: I just looked at the 10 day forecast... which currently includes July 1. 75 and sunny with 10% chance of rain :)

Anyway, back to rain plans. Lets start with Rain Plan Sprinkle. This is going to be the hardest one for me to put into play, because it accounts for the "maybe it's gonna rain, maybe in the morning, but maybe in the evening." I hate maybes when it comes to wedding logistics.

Rain Plan sprinkle seats a scant 96 guests under the tents. It assumes that at some point the weather gets better, and that we'll move tables and chairs into the living room of the shack and the house. It requires flexibiliy, calmness to make a decision, and someone to move the dancefloor under the tent the day of.

Yes, I just set up something that requires calmness and flexibility under stress. On my wedding day. With my family.

Oh shit.

Now onto Rain Plan Monsoon. This is the "oh shit, build an ark, the three day forecast says 80% chance of rain and we're all going to need lifejackets" plan. It requires us to check the five day forecast on Wednesday morning, and decide if we need to spring for a second tent to accomodate guests. Yes, it's gambling on the second tent, a 20' X 30' tent being available. We'd also order the necessary sidewalls with it. The extra tent would be set up in the driveway area:
I've already reserved the sidewalls required to enclose the 20'X 50' tent. Three 20' panels with windows, two 20' panels without windows. They would encase primarily the south and west sides of the tent, sinc ethe house and hill would be on the other two sides. Imagine that my grey arrows are sidewalls:
Once the sidewalls are set up, the tables from up on the deck and overflow in the upper terrace move into the 20'X30' tent. These tables will be set up on top of the dance floor in the driveway, and have to be broken down before dancing begins. This plan seats 138 people, and is, again, the worst case scenario.


Frankly, I'm hoping that we don't have to put Sprinkle into effect. Of all of the scenarios, Sprinkle has the most variables, the most "what-if's". So give me sunshine! or give me Monsoon!

What do you think, are we going to survive this wedding thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment