About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A place to lay our heads

As a couple of late 20's/ early 30's professionals, DJ and I entered our cohabitation/ marriage with most of the accouterments needed to live by ourselves. Luckily, we had very little overlap when we merged households and then married. We both had a set of knives, both had a vacuum (though neither of them worked well), and both had the same loveseat, but in different colors. Any we both had about half a set of pots and pans.

We both came with bedroom furniture too. DJ had a bed frame, nightstand and dresser his mom purchased when he was 14. I had the queen bed I slept on in Kentucky, a dresser my dad built for me as a baby, a bookshelf and a little white table my cousin Blake built me when he was 12. 

If you're keeping score, that means we did not, and still do not, have a bedroom set. Truthfully, we probably won't have a "set"; I'm not into matchy-matchy. I'd prefer eclectic items that can be used for different purposes when needed. 

But a bed frame, that we needed. And grown up bed-linens. The linens came first, thanks to generous gifts from DJ's dad and stepmother. They generously purchased from our wedding registry this set:

Which I loved in pictures, but not in my bedroom. The square design seemed to only emphasize the room's square-ness. We exchanged it for this set:

Which I liked a lot more, except that it pretty much exactly matched the walls and was dry-clean only. High maintenance materials don't work with our lifestyle. I returned it as well, and purchased this set with wedding-gift-money:

Which I love! I know, it's floral, in a master bedroom. I'm not going to try to justify, other than to say that I love it and DJ tolerates it. Because he's a better person than I am.

Then last fall, I got itchy to try to "finish" our master bedroom a little bit more. I wanted to paint. It's always easier to match a paint color to a duvet then vice versa. So I slapped up paint splotches:



And ended with this:


Which I'm still not certain I totally love. It's a little more of a vibrant color than I was looking for. I wanted a little more grey-green-blue calming color. BUT, I love it about 60% of the time and right now I'm too lazy to repaint the entire room. 

And then yesterday the first big item arrived. Finally, the bed the bed I ordered in January was delivered, and they even set it up! 

I added our duvet, and voila!

Is our bedroom "done"? Nope. We currently have three different tones of wood in there. I'm okay with it, for now. Our dresser, the one DJ bought to go with the bed from nearly 20 years ago, isn't big enough for both of our stuff and also doesn't match. DJ's nightstand doesn't match. My nightstand will remain the teensy little table that my cousin built me, currently painted white. There are also issues with the flow of the room if I purchase a much bigger nightstand, so I'm not sure what the solution is to that. And there is the paint color. And the picture above the bed might be a little much now. We need a new mattress too. 

But for now? This is a big step in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment