About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Friday, March 19, 2010

March 19 Friday Farming Update



Through this growing season I plan to document my back yard farming attempts on Fridays.

Remember how a few months ago I pulled too far into the garage and broke a flower pot?

Well, when I embarked on seed starting in February, I also cleaned up my mess. Uncertain of what to do with the potting soil, I trudged through the snow and dumped it in the future garden area.

And a funny thing happened. All that black dirt sitting on the white snow soaked up the sun's rays and accelerated the snow melt in the area.

Crazy, huh? So yesterday Harlow and I spent some time in the back yard spreading the potting soil around on the rest of the snow. It's an experiment to see if I can get the garden area to melt faster than the remaining lawn.

I haven't pulled out black plastic garbage bags, yet. But I might....

In  other news, I have a bunch of bulbs starting to pop up! Crocus, Muscari, and some other mystery bulbs. Spring!

And finally, a girl desperate for spring and her dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment