About Me

My photo
Blogging about gardening in zone 4, marriage, our golden retriever and life in general.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

2/18 Friday Farming: herbs

I went over all the veggies I want to plant in 2011 last week. Today, I want to focus on the herbs I'm planting. Hopefully we'll be able to actually use this stuff! I've decided to use a portion of the driveway flower bed for herb gardening this year. We'll see if it works.

Herbs for 2011 are:

  • Garlic: which I planted last fall in the garden. We go through a clove of garlic per week. I'll use it in pasta sauces, with potatoes, with eggs, with steak. With about everything!
  • Basil: for use in making bruschetta, and other Italian-like dishes. 
  • Mint: let me be honest. I'll use mint to  make mojitos. 
  • Chives: I transfered 2010's chive patch into the driveway flower bed. Hopefully it comes back, and makes delicious contributions to salads, dinners etc.
  • Oregano: for making pasta sauce
  • Cilantro: for topping anything with a Mexican flavor, and for adding to salsa. 
Yep, that's it. Fairly straightforward. We have a food dehydrator, but my main goal this year is to have enough herbs to cook with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment